Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Oh, this story?

After flunking out of college as I stated before I didn’t have my heart set on college so I dropped out and started working at the sugar beet dumps. Where one could do many different things, the warmest was to weigh trucks in where there was a space heater. Trouble of it was that this old biddy would let me do it while she went pee-pee but would rush me out as soon as she got back, so I would go to the top of the sugar beet pile, which was about thirty to forty feet tall about the same in width and as long as we could make it, to smooth out the pile and make sure that it was an even pile. Sometimes I would get to empty trucks, the second easiest job out there, but the old woman’s husband would come back from the can and send me back up to the top.

One day I came down to watch the mechanic fix the machine and heard the old man tell the mechanic he should turn off the power. Then the mechanic said”what for, I know…”, I guess he was going to say I know what I am doing but was fried instead. I never wanted to come down off the top after that. It was a horrific smell

In the evenings after the last truck had come from the farmers fields we would have to spread great big blue tarps over the beets so they didn’t freeze. Then in the morning we would roll back the tarp so that we could continue making the pile longer and longer and longer and I could go on forever.

I was fortunately a neighbor of and in the same ward as the foreman, so when the fields had all been emptied I got to continue working while the rest of the crew was through for the year, I got to stay working helping the men from the sugar beet plant load the beets onto railroad cars. It was funny that I got to roll the tarp back all by myself while the man from the plant would sit in his front end loader and drink coffee and smoke waiting until he could start loading the beets onto these huge railroad cars. I remember one day Bill, the foreman, was helping me roll the tarp back so that we could get started earlier. I must have been late that day and Bill told me that he was quite upset with the union because they made it so the guy didn’t have to get out of his front end loader. I knew then that I wanted nothing to do with unions in the future.

Anyway, Bill tried to help me get ready to go on a mission but I had bought a shiny new car and didn’t want to give it up at this time. So I started hanging out with strange people who dragged me down to their level and I decided I would not go back to church at all in the future. Isn’t it strange all the ways satan has of tempting us not to follow after the Savior?

It wasn’t long after that when I had several bottles of beer in my trunk, had an insulin reaction while driving out to a party spot at Mar don Resort at the lakes when I drove off the road in my shiny new car while going in excess of 120 MPH. I went off the road ran for over 10 yards on the driver side, hit something to cause the car to flip end over end twice, the first time over a fence, and rolled completely three times and ended up on four flat tires with the roof on the passenger side crushed down to the top of the seats. Roy Hutchinson crawled from the floor on that side over me to get out of the car with a broken right arm and went to call for an ambulance for me then was on hand to stop the police from bouncing the trunk lid open while I was in the car.

I was unconscious for three days and on wakin had to answer questions in front of my parents for the police, and then for the press. As this was the most exciting to happen in Othello for weeks. Well I have been talking long enough for today.

1 comment:

Please write whatever you like, as long as it is not dirty and as long as I can read it!