One more story of working in the potato plant during the summers of my teen years. This did not happen to me but it did happen to my parents so I claim part as I was at the plant so I can tell the story to the best of my ability.
Once upon a time, I mean one day my mother left her position to go up to the restroom. As she entered the restroo and went into a stall she saw a n ewborn in the toilet. She hurriedly picked the little girl up and cradled it against her body until someone else went into the restroom. Then she sent the other lady to fetch my father. When he got there he took out his pocket knife and cut the cord so they could wrap the baby up in some potato sacks. The beginning is for Kiki, but my parents have the newspaper report. Apparently this girl who worked there at the plant was extremely big in the first place, but she was very quiet and no one knew her except for her parents and they didn’t see that she was expecting. Well this girl was only fourteen and obviously this was her first and she was just scared to death as her father was the father to the baby.
The father disappeared and the mother was angry with the girl for making him flee. So the state came in and took the baby girl and the mother of the baby was put in jail for doing something so stupid. In the end Newell Anderson paid for an attorney for the mother of the baby so that she was able to get out of jail and go back to school. I feel so sorry for her and yet I have no idea what ever happened to her after the trial and she was released with no possibility of contacting the baby in the future.
Now we are off to the experience of changing cars after my purple one was cremated. I needed to have a car for my self esteem and so that I could get away from all of my brothers and sisters once in awhile. Anyway I had to save money for college as I knew that I wasn’t going to get a scholarship as none of my grades had been very reasonable most had been C’s or D’s with at least one F. I planned on going to Ricks college and I knew that I would need a car to go from Rexburg to Lincoln where my grandparents or my mothers parents lived. As I looked around for a good used car which I never did find. I did find an old light blue and white ’57 Chevy BelAir that didn’t have an engine. So I bought it for "?" I do not remember the purchase price but it wasn’t very much.
When I went looking for an engine my father suggested I take the engine from the ’55 and put it in the ’57. To which I reminded him that I had released that car to the crook. Dad told me that he could get the engine at a very reasonable price to which I agreed and we went to talk to the “crook” and I found him to be very nice to deal with when dad introduced us, many people knew dad to be a very good and fair man. The “crook” told me that if he’d known I was my father’s son that he wouldn't have charged me the $5.00. Then he gave me a very reasonable price, just the cost of the parts he had bought, for the old straight 6 cylinder engine, which he had taken and replaced everything that had been burnt and replaced the carburetor and distributor and most important it ran very well. Now how much would I pay him to put it in the ’57 Chevy? As he was a friend to dad, dad had helped him do something which they told me but I now forget; he would do it for free.
I have always wished I could be like my father instead of just like my mother in behavior with others. I am just like him in my thoughts on comedy.
We’ll see you tomorrow…
Thursday, February 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are great at this blogging thing! I have been having to print tnem off just to have time to read them. Thanks for the life history- I cannot believe the news reads the same today as it did yesterday!-ciria
ReplyDelete