When I was out of the hospital after being unconscious for three days and two more for recovery, I found that I had a permanent scar over my left ear that I have always kept covered with my thinning hair. Satisfied Alex? Oh, by the way every piece of glass in the car was shattered except the window my head rode on while sliding along the side of the road. Was rhis my guardian angel once again? Anyway after getting out of the hospital I found that I no longer had a car, which my father co-signed for, but I also no longer had a job as I had to be replaced.
So I started helping my parents make extra money as a newspaper deliverer out in the countryside with their secondhand car a Chevrolet Corvair and you thought I had said Corvette, well not the same by a long shot>. It was kind of like a Volkswagen bug ex cept it looked like someone had stepped on it and made it flat. It had the engine in the rear and trunk in front only the engine was water cooled.
While I was working at the beet dump I used to take this little car and drive it over the tare piles. After the farmer dumped their beets they would gto over a bouncing chain to knock the dirt off and then the driver would have to put the tare into the back of his truck have it weighed and the difference between the beginning weight and the tare weight was what he was paid by the sugar beet plant. And after he was weighed he would take the tare off to the side and dump it on the ground to the side of the weigh station area.
So there were hundreds of tare mounds and we, a friend and I, would buckle our seat belts in this Corvair and drive about forty mph in order to get the car to go up onto the tare piles about three feet high each and drive over as many as possible. It would shake us up better than going to the Carnivel.
This Corvair was perfect size to drive it straight out on some railroad tracks , let out about ¾ of the air and let it steer us to the ball games in Royal City Washington. I do not remember how I totaled this car but I do remember that after I had totaled it my parents went to Connell and bought another Corvair from a junk car dealer and dad Anthony and I fixed it up to run as it was such a dependable car to deliver papers with.
We are about 2 ½ years before the mission I served for the Lord. And then I got married and my children started coming with a vengeance.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i always remember that this story has always made me really jealous. I would love to something very similar
ReplyDelete