Saturday, April 15, 2006

Do you want some more of my working life

Or would you like some more of me and my life? I guess I will tell you of my impressions in each location I worked. Will that be better?

I explained why I decided to move to Spokane and I believe it was best for my family but I really struggled while there and because these struggles are personal I will not explain them. Then I was offered the opportunity of taking a job in NC which I wish I had thought more carefully on. Even if it was the favorite job I ever had, I wonder how much my family suffered and therefore I think now that I should have thought more on the subject. When I first went to NC I was awed by the beautiful dogwoods blooming all around and I had seen some postcards showing the beautiful fall season in NC. So just the beauty of the place was a big reason why I wanted to move there, but we had just been through a very cold and snowy winter in Spokane, snow on the ground from early Oct. to early Apr., and I did not want to face another, the weather was quite warm in NC and it was far enough south that I didn’t think we would have to face another cold winter like in Spokane. So I accepted the first job offered in NC but wonder if Texas might have been better.

There are so many memories of the travels I did while the family stayed in NC and I will share most with you as we go along but for today I think it will be enough to talk about two or three. So we should go chronologically and will begin with Newtown, CT where I went after working for GE in the Research Triangle Park. The first time I went there it was a November day and while NC was so beautiful with colorful leaves Newtown was plenty of trees but they were all completely bare, not even one leaf. Well I went there to work for DuPont, Inc. and the entire nine months I was there I was miserable except when I went to New York City to visit on some weekends. The reason they wanted me there in Newtown was that they were switching from an IBM to a Hewlett-Packard and since I had switched the other way they thought I would be a great help.

The next place I went to was Allendale, SC where I worked for Westinghouse. One of my experiences here in Allendale was that I went for brunch one Saturday morning and as I was eating at a local restraint when two young men were coming to eat aso and as the one closest to a pickup sitting there and he ran his hand along the edge of the pickup bed while talking to his friend and all of a sudden he didn’t have an arm. You see there was a live alligator in the bed of the pickup. Why the alligator was there has me baffled but apparently they moved alligators in that fashion. Why one would stop to eat breakfast while moving an alligator is a mystery but ill bet he doesn’t do that again.

While working here I worked a great deal and one week I worked 106 hours, to which my boss asked why I had taken Sunday off.

3 comments:

  1. man that must of been gross to see an arm bitten off. I wonder how he reacted or if he was taunting the aligator

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really thought of you working - I guess now that I am a stay at home mom and my husband goes off to work I can better understand the idea of a man going off to work. It is fun to hear about your jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to hear about what you were doing while you were away as well as where you were. I guess being young I never paid attention to those details if I was told, I just knew you were gone at work.

    ReplyDelete

Please write whatever you like, as long as it is not dirty and as long as I can read it!