I always thought Diana was completely honest in all things, but I have to tell you all this extremely funny story about Diana. I know that before I got married, my mother and my grandmother Nield were the best cooks I had ever known; however, I now know Diana to be the best cook ever known to mankind. After I had gotten back to Texas from Washington Diana invited me over for a dinner. And when I got there she fed me a delicious meal. You see she was so nervous and wanted me to enjoy the meal so much, only she didn't tell me until Judy, Diana's sister, had asked me how I had enjoyed her cooking?
Now for todays story:
Interstate 35 running south goes through Oklahoma City then into Texas snd Gainesville, through Dallas, through Austin, through San Antonio and finally into Laredo with many smaller towns in between. The story though is the very first time I ever went to Laredo in the mission field I saw a sign before entering Laredo. The sign said “Freeway ends 1/4th mile” and entering Laredo and seeing some cardboard boxes setup as houses and thought the world had ended. As I got familiar with the people in Laredo I found it to be one of the greatest places on earth, after all Diana was found in Laredo. But after graduating from Laredo Junior College it was time to either look for a job or go to El Paso to continue my education at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) the Miners. I didn’t stay but one semester as Diana was expecting.
We were waiting on Ciria and I knew what Ciria was going to be like and knew that she along with Cathy and Kristy would need a full time mother, so after visiting my parents in Othello for Christmas I stayed to search out a job in computers. And I searched very hard in Othello and in Moses Lake. As stated in the past my father was very well known as a good and fair man in both places and it was because of him that I was successful. For the first of many times I sent Diana to get us moved while I looked for a job I and found one, only feeding cows in a feed lot. NOT with computers, not even the scales were computerized. It took Diana’s wisdom to get me going in the right direction. About a week or two after they got to Othello I came home without a job as I had driven the truck I fed cows with into the back of a parked tractor. I DIDN’T total it though. Anyway Diana suggested I go to the unemployment office and search for a job working with computers. So I went to Othello and I went to Pasco, as we were then living in Connell WA, unemployment offices.
Well it wasn’t more than a week that I was called with a possible job with the City of Pasco setting up their automated computer system. At that time everything was done with a ledger card system that they couldn’t get new parts for it any longer, it was that old. I think I only interviewed for this and one other jobs while I was able to work, the rest were offered to me through others knowing me and of my work. I am very proud of this fact.
Saturday, March 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The more that I hear people talk about their wives the more I think that the real way that a girl can ensure that she'll get married is if she can cook, forget all the other virtues. Aparently it helps if your sister can cook as well.
ReplyDeleteHey dad -nice outfit in your picture. The way to Adam's heart is Calixta's chocolate chip cookies. It really does help to have a sister that can cook.
ReplyDeletemom has just taken second place for great cook. although i do enjoy moms tex mex a little better. I am starting to get the hang of eating green chiles though
ReplyDeleteBoy Alex, you are quite a character trying to take first place from mom for yourself! JK
ReplyDeleteYou left yourself wide open for that.
Mom is the best cook ever. My kids think so too...they say that I am the greatest cook ever except for Grandma Diana's. I take that as a great compliment.
ReplyDelete