Thursday, March 02, 2006

And on with Laredo

There is nothing in this life that would discourage a man more than to know that he is unfit to take care of his own family and this is the position that I found myself in when I was in casts and had been replaced by the sandal manufacturing company. So it was natural for me to go back to college. And I worked through the casts and eventually became an officer in the data processing club at Laredo Junior college. I do remember once when I was wakening one evening in the Laredo Mercy hospital and I didn't remember that I had no use of my leg so I got out of bed to go to the bathroom and fell to the floor. I really struggled getting back in bed and finally accomplished, only with the help of a nurse.

While there we planned a visit to the more sophisticated college in Monterrey, Mexico, and while visiting there we got to go through one of the major beer manufacturing companies. Diana was jealous of me for this opportunity to go more than a few miles inside Mexico. Also that I had gone to the Dos Equis (XX) beer plant as beer was one of her favorite drinks before she joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. While on this trip we stopped at a couple ranches where the people were very unsure of gringos who spoke a little Spanish. We stopped at a hotel where I had to climb three flights of very narrow stairs as I did not know how to ask for an elevator, even though I had been told that in the LTM, and could barely get out the stairs. When I got to my room I went to open the door and found that I couldn’t figure out how the key worked, and I didn’t want to go down to the front desk again. Finally when a friend, Angie, came out and knew how the key worked and she showed me. This whole experience made me decide to start studying the Spanish language even more on a daily basis.

Going back to Ricks Junior college, I remember the “Valhalla dancers” dancing club I had been involved in, where we would dance a good many styles of dances and where we went to Mexico to several cities to perform. And to learn the dances of the Mexican culture from some famous Spanish dancers who I don’t remember at all. Even if one were to tell me the names once again, I doubt if I could remember one of their names. Anyway we went to several cities, and this is not the exact order but we went to Mexico DF, Monterrey, Veracruz, Acapulco, CancĂșn and Cholula. While on this trip I had no idea that I would be going on a mission and Spanish was the least thing on my mind so I paid no attention to what was happening around me other than the lights.

Once again in Laredo, the thought of our trip to Monterrey was what reminded me of the trip to Mexico while at Ricks College. And I thought I remembered everything as if they happened earlier this morning. Well I do need more help as I get older, Diana can verify this small fact. Tomorrow I will remember better, Bye for now…

2 comments:

  1. i wish i would have the chance to practice my spanish on a regular basis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to hear about your time as a "Rick's Dancer". It seems like you have lived so many lives.

    ReplyDelete

Please write whatever you like, as long as it is not dirty and as long as I can read it!