Friday, June 23, 2006

Church callings 2!

When we moved into Spokane I was first called into the Elders Quorum Presidency where I served as second counselor to a guy who was the son of a man my father was in the bishopric with in Stevensville, MT. This Elders Quorum Presidents name was Paul Skaggs who worked as a electrical engineer for Hewlett-Packard and he showed us the mouse he was designing at the time. I don’t believe I have ever seen the like.

I had only served in this position for a few months when I was called into one of the hardest positions I have held in the church “Ward Financial clerk”. It would have done me more good than any thing I could have done if I had paid good attention to what I was doing. Unfortunately I didn’t have a strong enough testimony at the time to really learn anything and so we suffered financially for many years after this calling.

After moving to Durham, NC I was called to serve in the nursery and then in the Sunbeams class. In this position I had Andrew in my classes both years before I started traveling away from home so much. I probably did Andrew more damage than I did good for the poor tyke. You see he was in the same class as Skip Lezzettes son (name not remembered) and I was always protecting Andrew from the roughian. I was also called into a genealogy class while we lived in Durham or the “Chapel Hill Ward – Durham Stake”. This ward consisted of Parkwood, Chapel Hill, Carrboro and a couple other little towns in North Carolina.

I think I came closer to totally apostizing from the church while we lived here in the Chapel Hill Ward as a result of the way the black converts were treated. And you all have heard both Diana and I say that these people in North Carolina still acted as if the civil war was still in progress. And I am saying that the south still wants the black people to be slaves and I believe there is no greater harm anyone could do to one of Heavenly Fathers children than to take away his/her freedom to choose for himself. After all this is the only reason anyone came to this earth for, to make correct choices. And if ones chance to make those choices is taken away then we are in essence following Satans plan. And I don’t believe some the Chapel Hill Ward quite follow that line of reasoning.

And finally while in this ward I was called as Sunday School President where I believe my greatest efforts were in trying to teach some of the parents that if they do not attend class then their children will not go to class. And on till tomorrow or next week or at least next time.

6 comments:

  1. I remember that north carolina had a problem with racism. It was weird being called cracker and then the white people not knowing how to treat you. all in all I still loved it there. It was a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is only because that is where you grew up. I'm afraid you even have some of that racism in your makeup! Should I exorcize it? Maybe next time I see you I can call in a Catholic priest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking back on the few callings I have held in my life, I really enjoyed being in the nursery. However, I do agree sometimes having parents in nursery is not the best thing for the children. I check up on Zoƫ all of the time and I always want to help her, but I know that I really won't be helping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't remember a lot of the race stuff with in the church you are talking about. Every place you go to has it's problems...but I agree with Alex, I still loved it there. Would go back, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please write whatever you like, as long as it is not dirty and as long as I can read it!