One day this will all be just a nonsensical story with absolutely no meaning to anyone, but for now I will write what happened next in my working life. Before going to work for Merck, Sharpe & Dohme I stopped in Cary, NC for a few months and read all of HP’s manuals of their MM3000 manufacturing software so that I could write some changes that would be acceptable for Austin Quality Foods under the HP standards. This I did within about three months and was accepted by Austin Quality Foods with great aplomb.
So while working for Merck, Sharpe & Dohme, Hp also had me go back to work on occation to do some special work for Austin Quality Foods from time to time. I despised the work at Merck, Sharpe & Dohme as it was mostly report writing and I had always hated to do that type of work. Whenever I could pull it off I would get some one else to do the report writing for me if I could in any way. Many people enjoyed writing reports as it didn’t take many brains to do it so I would always look for the lazier sort of person to ask them to do this. They thought I was crazy in trying to get out of the work when they relished doing it.
While working at Merck, Sharpe & Dohme I met for a second time a gal I worked with at General Electric during my first assignment in the consulting world by the name of Sandy Mathers who had a son the same age as Cathy and who was an LPGA woman while she was younger. She said that she could not support her son with golf so she started programming and to be honest I was very happy that she had as she taught me a great deal about Quiz QTP and the other supposedly easy to use HP programming languages.
While in school I was taught three languages, RPG II, FORTRAN and COBOL, and while working I taught myself several new languages to go along with these three, I guess I could say I know SPL, BRW, PASCAL and APL along with these previous three. I used to love to read manuals and learn to do the things I learned while reading them. This is what led to my getting a job with Bahlsen, Inc. or Austin Quality Foods after I had the stroke.
After working for Merck, Sharpe & Dohme I went to work for Austin Quality foods for a short time while waiting on the Kidney transplant. Then shortly after the transplant I went to work in Harrisburg, PA for a very large electric motor manufacturing company. Don’t recall the name of this company but thjis is were I met up with the Arthur Andersen consulting company and it the first job that was not satisfied with the work I did. So then I didn’t have a job until after I had the stroke when I went to work as an employee of Bahlsen, Inc. where I worked until I decided to accept a disability package. This disability package was for sixty percent of what I was earning at that time which was about ½ what I had been earning as a consultant. And that is the end of my working life. So there.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I thought the cookies were from austin quality foods and I loved them more than cathy. I remember that byron came over once and said, where's the cookies and was disappointed because we always had those cookies
ReplyDeletePoor Alex, Austin Quality Foods was owned by Bahlsen and because I was an employee I got the cookies and choclates for half price. Even at that I couldn't afford the choclates more than once. Because they are dark choclates Diana didn't want me to get them darn choclates.
ReplyDeleteI was the one who got fat by eating them damn cookies. So I was the one who loved them most! LOL :)
So much about that post I did not understand (all that technical stuff). But I also do remember the cookies. To this day I cannot, or rather, will not try the cheese and peanut butter cookies.
ReplyDeletei liked the lemon oh's the best...I buy the variety pack costco occassionally and my kids love them, and so the tradition continues
ReplyDelete