Monday, May 12, 2008

My day in the HOSPITAL!!!

Diana tells me that I have had an insulin reaction every time she comes back from a trip. I guess she will eventually learn she should not go away. And that sounds as if I did it on purpose, but I am not doing it on purpose I promise.

The day starts well, Diana and I decided that we do better when we do things on our own so she decided to go shopping with Kristy and I go to the pharmacy for insulin and pain pills. Then I came home to take my medications and eat but I could not find anything I could fix to eat and then I decided to go to McDonald's but I didn’t think I had any cash so I continued on to the grocery store, a trip to the grocery store takes about ½ hour. When I got to the store I was still thinking clearly and I purchased what I needed, as I was leaving the store I discovered the five dollars I had in my coat pocket so I purchased a slice of pizza and took it outside. Why I didn’t eat it just outside the store is still a mystery to me but when they found me the ambulance people said it was still on my lap. I must have been about three blocks from the store.

They took me to the hospital after giving something called d50 as they took my blood sugar and found no blood sugar reading on their one touch machine and by the time I was in the hospital I was lucid. I gave the ambulance people my cell phone and asked them to call Diana and as she was in a shoe store looking at a brown pair of shoes she said you see this brown pair of shoes, I’ll take it one in black and one in red. So why do they take me to the hospital? Because if they don’t the insurance will not pay the ambulance fees which is $700.00 and when I go to the hospital the insurance pays most of that cost and I am left with just $75.00. Before Diana got there, Andrew was there to take care of Duke and I, to take me home a receptionist came ib to ask me how I was doing and I told her “better now than when you leave” she smiled and thanked me. Then I had to wait for a couple hours while they made sure my blood sugar stayed up and until I had eaten something.

In retrospect I think there are a few things I would like to say to my family
 First I am sorry for all the unpleasantness I have caused in your lives.
 2nd It seems as if every year I do something to hurt Andrew on or around his birthday. This year he didn’t want to go out to dinner with us as he was going to another birthday party so we planned it for Saturday when I had an insulin reaction.
 3rd it seems to me that it would have been cheaper if I had just gotten on the bus and gone to the hospital if I wanted to eat there.
This took me three days to write.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for writing Dad. I always enjoy your stories. Mom told me that they even took your dog in the ambulance. thats cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry we werent' closer dad. Glad you are ok. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you now considering eating at the hospital on a full time basis. Just going there and hanging out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell ya...those are expensive meals!

    ReplyDelete

Please write whatever you like, as long as it is not dirty and as long as I can read it!